I am a Grammy Award trumpeter that has a unique style of playing on hip hop, jazz, pop, blues, and just about any style of music. I have a lot of credits with my style of trumpet playing. I received a Grammy for playing on Usher album She Dont Know. Please check my blog at www.darnelltrumpetdudephillips.blogspot.com
I am offering my services to come and play on your albums. My rate varies depending on what you need me to do. I am flexible and open to working with any style of music. Here are my works so far. Ihave more.
Professional Trumpeter, Composer, and Vocalist
• Johnny Taylor - (Sideman) Lead Trumpeter (1992'–1995')
• Bobby "Blue" Bland - (Sideman) Lead Trumpeter/Sound Engineer (1997' – 2001')
• Eightball and MJG – Trumpeter: “Still Will Remain”
• Gucci Mane- Trumpeter: “Follow Me”
• Lil Jon's –Trumpeter: “On De Grind”
• Marsha Ambrosius Trumpet: “I Wanna Touch”
• Pastor Troy- (Vocalist) Pastor Troy and the Congregation “ Look What I’m Going Through” (1999/ 2000)
• Pastor Troy- (Trumpeter) “Move To Mars” (1999/ 2000)
• Usher's Album Raymond vs Raymond Trumpeter: “She Don’t Know”- Grammy Certificate
• Wiz Khalifa- Trumpet: “G S—T”
• Yelawolf- Trumpet: “Swagger Killer”
• Young Jeezy, Eminem, and Freddie Gibbs- “Talk To Me"
• Gucci Mane, Rich Homie Quan and Pizzle - "Say A Prayer" (2014)
• Edidon - "Gangsta" (2014)
• SKEELIVE TV show - Licensed music for the show
• PJ feat Ty Dollasign - Come Down - Atlantic Records (2016)
Click the 'Contact' above to get in touch. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Interview with Darnell TrumpetDude Phillips
Q: Tell us about a project you worked on you are especially proud of and why. What was your role?
A: Usher - She Do't Know. I received a Grammy Certificate for my participation.
Q: What are you working on at the moment?
A: Personal projects
Q: What questions do customers most commonly ask you? What's your answer?
A: Can you play like this or that. I normally try to show the client what I can do straight from the jump. Once they hear what I can do, I normally get call backs.
Q: What's the biggest misconception about what you do?
Q: What questions do you ask prospective clients?
A: Do you have a budget?
Q: What advice do you have for a customer looking to hire a provider like you?
Q: If you were on a desert island and could take just 5 pieces of gear, what would they be?
Q: What was your career path? How long have you been doing this?
A: I have been playing professionally for the last 22 years. I am a sideman, studio session musician, and composer.
Q: How would you describe your style?
A: Big and bold. Imagine a college marching band.
Q: Which artist would you like to work with and why?
A: Any artists
Q: Can you share one music production tip?
Q: What type of music do you usually work on?
A: All types
Q: What's your strongest skill?
A: I have a great ear and compose on the spot.
Q: What do you bring to a song?
A: I bring a BIG BRASS sound to the table. Professional and fast.
Q: What's your typical work process?
A: I either come to the session at a recording studio or record once I receive files from the client.
Q: Tell us about your studio setup.
A: I am mobile and have a laptop, audio interface, mic, etc....
Q: What other musicians or music production professionals inspire you?
A: Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie,
Q: Describe the most common type of work you do for your clients.
A: I sing or play trumpet.