Massachusetts-based composer, producer, multi-instrumentalist, owner and chief operator of Echo Base Production, pop/R&B/hip-hop obsessive, Dilla devotee, pocket aficionado.
Nate Mondschein is US-based music producer, composer, multi-instrumentalist and owner/chief operator of Echo Base Production, a music production company specializing in Pop, R&B, Indie, Folk, Hip-Hop, and Soul. He’s been performing, writing, producing and recording music for the past fifteen years alongside numerous acts (Old Flame, Spencer H., Josh The Word, Sodada, The Rooks, Trot Fox, Henry Hall, Old Flame, Jess Best, and many more) and plans to keep doing so for as long as he possibly can.
Nate’s music and projects have been featured in a variety of publications, including The New Yorker, Afropunk, Okayplayer, The Deli Magazine, and many more. You can find additional samples of his work on his website, Natemondschein.com, or @ Soundcloud.com/natemondschienmusic
I'd love to hear about your project. Click the 'Contact' button above to get in touch.
- "Focus" by Spencer H (Drums/Production)
- "Psyched Out" by Josh The Word (Production/Bass/Keys)
- "Wires" by The Rooks (Composition/Arrangement/Production/Drums)
- "Do You Realize" by Trot Fox (Drums/Production/Arrangement)
- "Henry Hall EP" by Henry Hall (Drums)
- "Hush Money" by Old Flame (Bass)
- "Gone Baby" by Jess Best (Drums)
- "Call Home the Crow" by Mel Hsu (Drums)
- "Twister" by The Rooks (Composition/Production/Drums)
- "Something You Can Take" by The Rooks (Production/Drums)
- "Yer That" by Josh The Word (Productions/Drums)
- "Not a Shoe Store" by Angela Windgrove (Drums)
- "A New Kind of Sexy" by George Watsky (Drums)
- "Flags and Boxes" by Macedo (Drums)
- "Young & In Debt" by Old Flame (Production/Composition/Bass/Synth/Keys/Guitar/Backing Vocals"
- "On Your Own" by Nate Mondschein and Spencer H (Production/Composition/All Instruments)
ReviewsEndorse Nate Mondschein
Interview with Nate Mondschein
Q: Tell us about your studio setup.
A: My goal in developing the Echo Base Production studio was been to facilitate the multi-instrumental style of production that I work in with the least amount of necessary setup/breakdown when shifting gears from one instrument to the next. As such, my rig includes a variety of stations for guitar and bass amps, a drum kit, and a vocal section all mic'ed and ready to track. I work through an Apogee interface, and use a variety of Neve/DBX/AEA/Warm Audio outboard gear. My mic selection is diverse enough to accommodate any style of production, including a variety of AKG, Beyerdynamic, Shure, Warm Audio, and Lauten dynamic/LDC/ribbon mics. I also often utilize virtual instruments on my tracks, and have relied heavily on Arturia V Collection and Kontakt. The studio is setup to run through either Pro Tools or Logic Pro.
Q: What other musicians or music production professionals inspire you?
A: Blake Mills and Ariel Rechtshaid are two of the producers who's work and approach to production resonate with me most directly. As a songwriter and artist, musicians like SZA, Frank Ocean, Khalid, Charlie Puth, Carly Rae Jepsen, Demi Lovato, Bon Iver, Sufjan Stevens, Moses Sumney, The National, and Anaïs Mitchell are all incredibly influential to my work.
Q: Describe the most common type of work you do for your clients.
A: My recent work has tended to go in three unique, yet interconnected directions: the first, and most traditional, is a more standard approach to production in which I'll work with a band to develop their songs and arrangements, facilitate their recording sessions, and in many cases provide additional instrumentation to finalize the arrangement. I also frequently work in more front-to-back productions for artists in which I'll facilitate sessions to record their core vocal/instrumental track and then fully produce/perform multi-instrumental arrangements to bring those tracks to life, mixing the final product for delivery. Finally, I do a good amount of songwriting/production jobs, which generally involve my composing and arranging a song for an artist who will then track their vocals, and then I'll finalize the arrangement for mix.