What's your typical work process?
1. Static Mix: I start by arranging volumes and panning.
2. Mix Buss Processing: Then I move from top level to bottom by applying a touch of eq, compression and saturation to the mix bus (depending on what the song needs).
3. EQ: After that it`s time to carve out some unwanted and to highlight the wanted frequencies on the groups and individual tracks.
4. Dynamics: Once an overall good sound is reached through the above steps, I go into the sound dynamics. I apply compression and limiting where needed (for example to increase presence of the vocals).
5. The fifth step is to create a spacial context through the application of reverb and delay.
6. Automation: I like automation, since this allows me to get creative and to anticipate the song in a musical way.
7. Finishing: In this stage the song gets final adjustments where needed and I'll apply a limiter and dithering if wanted. If you want to send the file of to a mastering engineer then Ill export the song without that.
Tell us about your studio setup.
Motu 24 i/o
ADAM P-11A Monitors
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro Headphones