Chris Stockwell is a international recording/touring, Contemporary Resophonic Guitarist(Dobro) and Lap steel player. Recognized for his adherence to the bluegrass music tradition and branching out into playing many other genres of music, such as Blues, Country, Gospel, Americana, and Rock styles.
Growing up in the West Virginia mountains, Chris Stockwell started singing at an early age and took up the Dobro in 2002. Since then, he has performed with some of the best in the business at bluegrass festivals and concert halls throughout the United States. Notably, Chris was the Dobro player with The Rarely Herd for 8 years. He also had the opportunity to do a week long tour with Lou Reid and Carolina, perform on Mountain Stage with Susan Werner, and play on the soundtrack to the motion picture Stuck in the Past with Honi Deaton & Dream. Currently, Chris is a member of the bluegrass gospel band Chosen Road based in Princeton, West Virginia. Recently, Chris has toured Norway with The Darrell Webb Band and played shows with West Virginia music icons Ron Sowell, Johnny Staats, John Inghram, and Butch Osborne,Step into The Blue, and Common Houses. Chris is highly regarded for his teaching abilities as well as his musicianship. In addition to offering private lessons, for the past five years, he has taught Dobro at Allegheny Echoes music camp in Marlinton, West Virginia. He has presented workshops at several bluegrass festivals Including The Minnesota Old time Bluegrass festival and The Roanoke Fiddle Festival. Chris has also stayed busy as a session musician with over 40 recording credits on various bluegrass, roots, and folk CDs.
Contact me through the green button above and let's get to work.
- Dustin McCray - The Song That You Sing (2016)
- Clinton Collins - Around the Sun (2016)
- Micah & Mark Atkinson - Land of Broken Angels (2015)
- Andrew Adkins - Wooden Heart (2016)
- Laurel River Line - Turn Away From Sin (2015)
- Tyler Williams - Heart Over Mind (2015)
- Levi Douglas - Concrete Towers (2012)
- Step Into The Blue
- David Lee Mayfield (2016)
- Matt Mullins And the Bringdowns
- Chosen Road - Appalachian Worship (2019)
- Ramblers Joy - Old Cardinal Gem Mine (2021)
- Chris Haddox - (2021)
- Andrew Adkins - Who I Am (2018)
- Chosen Road - Appalachian Christmas
- Chosen Road - Appalachian Christmas (2022)
- Jayce Turley - The Opening Act (2022)
- April In Your Eyes - A Tribute to John Lilly (2022)
- The Road Home - Songs Of West Virginia (2004)
- Doug and Shelly Harper - Keepsakes (2005)
ReviewsEndorse Chris Stockwell
Interview with Chris Stockwell
Q: What do you bring to a song?
A: Giving my best to give the particular song a flow and feeling that it deserves. Every song is different and I think the most important thing is to figure out what that songs needs to be, after that, everything goes easier. Really focusing on adding parts to a song the reinforces the mood and overall quality and story of what it is saying.
Q: What other musicians or music production professionals inspire you?
A: For musicians,It's a broad spectrum of inspirations. It ranges from Bela Fleck to Ray Charles to Pearl Jam. I'm inspired by artists who play and create music from the heart and strive to put out the best music they can. As for producers, I'm really into Gary Paczosa, Phil Spector, Brian Wilson, Jimmy Iovine, and lately Dave Cobb.