Production, mixing and mastering services worldwide via Internet. Full-time composer / music producer since 1989. I have writen music for symphony orchestra, theatre, TV and film and different genres of pop and rock music. I am a very down to earth person and my response time is fast. I will make sure that you are satisfied with final product.
I can produce and compose original tracks for you from scratch or work in collaboration to make competitive and original sounding music .I can work as Producer or do composition, sound design, arrangement, orchestration, editing, recording, mixing, and mastering.
I like working on many different genres because all productions are fun for different reasons and it keeps things interesting. I have very long experience composing and producing records with artists and bands.
I love my work.
Thank you for checking out my SoundBetter page.
Would love to hear from you. Click the contact button above to get in touch.
- Black Sleep - The Whales Of The Grey Sea
- Joona Lukala - Other Side
- Mansion - The Mansion Congregation Hymns Vol. 1
- Kauko Röyhkä - Etelän Peto
- March 15 - Our Love Becomes A Funeral Pyre
- Apples Of Idun - Pinch
- Apples Of Idun - Disaster Art
- Apples Of Idun - Polyfonia
- Apples Of Idun - While The Night Is A Shade
- Pentagram - Live Rites
- Mansion - We Shall Live
- The Exploding Eyes Orchestra - I
- Crystal Ecstasy* - Part Of This Secret Dream
- Sarcofagus - Envoy Of Death
- Sela - Songs For The Blind
- Bee Queen - Burn The Street Volume Three
- Callisto (4) - Jemima / Klimenko
- Kosmos (7) - Tarinoita Voimasta
- Ablaze In Hatred - Closure Of Life
- Apples Of Idun - Widow
- Ablaze In Hatred - Deceptive Awareness
- Reverend Bizarre - III - So Long Suckers
- Kosmos (7) - Polku
- Deathbed / Kolt - Deathbed Vs. Kol
- Kehä 4 - Viileää valoa
- Unkind - Hangen Syliin
- Airut - Langennut
- Virulent Blessing - ...As Creativity Turns Into Lunacy
- Johnny Superhero - Choices
- Gladenfold - Time Of Departure
- Liittovaltio - Rakkauden Valtakunta
- Devillac - Three Hours To Coma
- SpiritusAndAsper* - Passion
- Lord Vicar - Fear No Pain
- Nomans Land - Farnord
- Death With A Dagger - Dark Alleys
- Beherit - Engram
- Ablaze In Hatred - The Quietude Plains
- Punainen Lanka (2) - Punainen Lanka
- Kiveskives - Painottomassa Tilassa
- Black Totem - I Brought You Back
- Itkevä Tyttö - Elämäni Mykkäelokuvassa
- The Return Of The Sorcerer Orne / Blizaro - The Return Of The Sorcerer / One Step Into Oblivion
- Maakuntaradio - Ehkä Huomenna Kaikki On Toisin
- Death With A Dagger / Speedtrap - Death With A Dagger / Speedtrap
- The Gathering - Mandylion
- The Gathering - Nighttime Birds
- Rippikoulu - Musta Seremonia
- Katatonia - Dance Of December Souls
- Killing Joke - Absolute Dissent
- Kirahvi nimeltä Tuike - Lehtipeitteen Suojelijat
- E-Musikgruppe Lux Ohr - Live At Sibelius Museum
- Frostbitten Kingdom - Infidel Angel
- Sáwol - Through Soil And Skin
- Pentagram - Sub-Basement
- Death With A Dagger - On The Edge Of The Unknown
- Lord Vicar / Funeral Circle - Lord Vicar / Funeral Circle
- Axegrinder - The Rise Of The Serpent Men
- Pentagram - Review Your Choices
- Katatonia - Discouraged Ones
- Beherit - At The Devil's Studio 1990
- My Dying Bride - 34.788%... Complete
- Orne - The Tree Of Life
- Darkwoods My Betrothed - Heirs Of The Northstar
- Kimmo Kuusniemi Band - Moottorilinnut
- Nightsatan - Midnight Laser Warrior
- Pentagram - Show 'Em How
- Unkind - Harhakuvat
- Sólstafir - Köld
- J.Kiesi* - Kaupungista Kaupunkiin
- The Subvulture - Ambition
- Axegressor - Next
- Lord Vicar / Griftegård - Do You Believe? / A Deathbed For All Holy
- Deuteronomium - Deathbed Poetry - Hope Against Hope
- Esoteric (3) - Paragon Of Dissonance
- Mirel Wagner - Mirel Wagner
- Bedemon - Symphony Of Shadows
- Mana Mana - Murheen Laakso
- The Gathering - How To Measure A Planet?
- Legend (22) - Death In The Nursery
- The Gathering - If_then_else
- Candlemass - Ancient Dreams
- Anathema - Eternity
- Liikkuva Laulureppu - Hattaroita Ja Hernesoppaa
- Niklas Nybom - TraFika (Original Music Score)
- Eetu Moisio - "Kävelymatkan Päässä" Soundtrack
- Ylivallan Orjat - Ylivallan Orjat
- Sircuscus - Traumambo
- Super Sport - Puncture Repair Kit
- God Given Ass - I'm Better Than You
- Project Silence - 424
- Half Apple - Hands That Held Up The Sky
- Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus Live At Roadburn 2011
- Orne - The Conjuration By The Fire
- Paavoharju - Joko Sinä Tulet Tänne Alas Tai Minä Nousen Sinne
- Unkind - Pelon Juuret
- Blues Section - Blues Section
- Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät - Jarmo - EP
- Project Silence - One Way To Hell
- Kolmas Ilmestys! - Kolmas Ilmestys!
- Big Daddy & Rockin Combo - Don't Throw Me Out
- Hulda Huima - Hulluus
- Vallan Varjot - Vallan Varjot
- Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät - Coffee Not Tea
- Be Good And Be Kind and 1 more… Brutus (10) - Personal Riot / Be Good And Be Kind (7")
- Nancy (25) - Seas Surrounding
- Wigwam (3) - Tombstone Valentine
- Rytmihäiriö - Todellisuuden Mestari
- Kari Peitsamo & Ankkuli - Jatsin Syvin Olemus
- Maarit - Maarit
- Rytmihäiriö - Saatana On Herra
- Katujen Äänet / Kaupungin Valot / Lähtevät Kaukojunat / Nuoret Sankarit - Eilinen On Tänään
- Wigwam (3) - Fairyport
- Woland (4) - Hyperion
- Wigwam (3) - Being
- Babylon Whores - Pride Of The Damned
- Opium Warlords - Taste My Sword Of Understanding
- Kolmas Ilmestys! - Päivänpolttaja
- Wigwam (3) - Hard N' Horny
- Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät - Oma Rauha
- Have You Ever Seen The Jane Fonda Aerobic VHS? - Teenage Sweetheart
- Witches Of God - The Blood Of Others
- Witches Of God - They Came To Kill
- Bedemon-Symphony of Shadows
- Beherit-At the Devil's Studio 1990
- Blind Stare-Symphony of Delusions
- Blind Stare-The Dividing Line
- Clayskin-Day of Silence
- Darkwoods My Betrothed-Heirs of the Northstar
Reviews (24)Endorse Joona Lukala
Joona is a great producer and very easy to work with. Hope to work with him again soon!
Joona is super talented. He must have a symphony orchestra in the back room over there in Finland because the beautiful music he pulled out for me was amazing. I will definitely use him again. He has experience ranging from orchestra to heavy metal! He is the real deal! He captured the essence of what I was trying to accomplish.
You can trust Joona in all your projects. Results come fast and it's nice to see someone who takes your things seriously. Joonas personality is the best part! He's calm and kind. This is the best service for all your music projects!
Joona know as producer wide variety of genres from Symphonic orchestral music to electronic music and different styles of metal music. He picks influences from different genres and blends them with good taste. One of his strenghts as producer is vast experience and knowledge of the studio techniques and will to learn new. I found working with Joona
Joona is a good musician and producer. The studio is really big and comfortable. I've done several projects with Joona and everything has gone according to plan. Everything works.
Our record label AP-levyt has co-operated with Joona several years. Joona has mastered almost every record we have released (over 40 records) and the quality of the work is always high-class when it comes to either digital or analog mastering.
We recorded our two singles with Joona in his studio with Softcore Suicide. Working with him was very relaxing and fun, even though we are all quite hot-headed. We felt that he was truly enthusiastic about his work and that's a big big thing for us. All in all we're very pleased with the results and would recommend him to anyone!
I have worked with Joona and I can say that he knows what he`s doing. He has lots of experience and knowledge and is also a great guy! Keep up the good work!
A wise choice we made to record the recent Nightmare Enemy EP with Joona. Not only was the engineering work flawless throughout the project, Joona's experience and musical vision were truly invaluable assets in crafting a bombastic heavy-metal soundscape. Definitely looking forward to continue the co-operation with future projects!
I have worked with Joona with both of my bands (Apples of Idun, Black Sleep) and during many of my other music projects for TV, games etc. Recently he produced Black Sleep's debut "The Whales of the Grey Sea", which has been receiving praising reviews around the globe. Joona is easy to work with and he knows how to get the best out of an artist!
Joona was the director of the music in the big musical I was playing and I've done songs with him too, him as a producer. Easy to work with, truly a great guy. Joona is really a professional, but also always learning new things. Great musician and composer. His skills at producing, recording, mixing and mastering are beyond amazing if you ask me!
Joona Lukala has mastered and produced all Apples of Idun and E135 albums. We think he has a great understanding of recording process! That,s why we will sertainly to co-operate whit him in the future.
We've had Joona master all of our Witches Of God recordings. Joona has become an integral member of our recording process. He understands what we are trying to achieve and delivers his results in a timely manner. We look forward to working with him again later this year.
Joona has mastered all Devillac albums so far and will do so in the future as well. He has a great understanding of what we want as a band for the album to sound and we are also planning to record with him. A true professional!
Joona Lukala has mastered multiple cd -projects during the past 10 years that I have had priviledge to produce. His level of work has been consistent from track to track. He has chosen the correct the style of mastering to different styles of music f.e rock, heavy, pop, and even classic. Mr. Lukala´s performance in the field is truly professional.
During the past 20 years, Joona mixed, recorded and mastered my many projects and I´ve been very happy with results. Joona is professional man in these things and have both, knowledge and experience.
I worked with Joona when recording the Lord Vicar album "Gates of Flesh". He did an absolutely first class job, was very easy to work with and the end result is a fantastic sounding album that the whole band are very happy with.
I've worked with Joona on several productions, during all of which Joona has been very professional, skilled, and also very flexible. Joona has a lot of ideas producing-wise, he is able to bring out the sound the client desires, and has affordable fares. He has a lot of musical knowledge and passion for music production.
I have worked on multiple projects alongside Joona, each of them being a great experience and a display of Joona's expertise. His skill-set stretches beyond any specific genre: from orchestrated Disney-style songs to Rock n' Roll, Joona provides insight and is able to create the desired soundscape with a friendly, customer-oriented focus.
Working with Joona has been a great experience. Production-wise, he always offers fresh ideas to improve the songs. Needless to say, he has a lot of experience and skills in recording, mixing and mastering and enormous knowledge about studio technology and music in general, but in addition, scheduling and communicating with him goes very smoothly.
I have been working with Joona on several mastering projects (Reverend Bizarre, Opium Warlords, Vironsusi/Forests of Old, Azrael Rising, KLV and March 15, which also included a track we did together) and he recorded my vocals to the new Spiritus Mortis album. All of these sessions have been of high quality, and I wish to continue working with him!
Been working with JL one year on my own solo record project and he has convinced me of his talents of music making - arrangements, production, technology etc. Recently JL has been involved in initiatives to broaden production work into educational projects. Undoubtedly one of the most gifted all-round music professionals in Turku area (Finland)
Joona has mixed and mastered many of my projects such as Finnish metal bands Kilpi and Cold Sweat and has done amazing job cleaning up the tracks finding balance in complex productions and arrangements. And what a great guy to work with!
Joona is a wonderful producer: good ears and extensive knowledge about studio technology, placing of microphones, mixing, and mastering. The studio environment has small limitations, as the (big!) recording room has no soundproof separated areas. But it's great for live rhythm tracks and then recording the rest separately - huge natural drum sound.
Interview with Joona Lukala
Q: What advice do you have for a customer looking to hire a provider like you?
A: Please contact me and lets talk about your goals and expectations. I am easygoing and down to earth person. I have very long experience working with artists and bands and I can usually very fast know if there is something I can help you with in your production.
Q: What was your career path? How long have you been doing this?
A: Started playing guitar and recording with 4 track cassette recorder at age of 10. First paid composition work 1989 for theatre production. I have worked since full time composer and music producer. I have recorded, mixed and mastered a lot of bands and artists locally and via internet. I have composed music for Symphony orchestra,theatre productions,TV and film and art projects.
Q: What are you working on at the moment?
A: Mixing and mastering several albums and working in collaboration with visual artist, we are making commissioned art project.
Q: Is there anyone on SoundBetter you know and would recommend to your clients?
A: Song writing team is doing great work, you should check them up
Q: Analog or digital and why?
A: I like both.Depends on the vibe and sound of the production and how artist want to work. Usually digital makes the most sense because tight schedule and total recall ability. Analog tools has different sound compared to digital. You can choose to use analog synths or tape machines for their sound in just some stages of production. I think variety makes music more interesting and thats the reason many are using sampled drums with acoustic drums or digital and analog synths mixed together. Same way you can use digital recording and mixing with for example analog tape mastering. They are just tools. People who use them are more important.
Q: What's your 'promise' to your clients?
A: My goal is to get them a finished product that they love and was in line with their expectations. I am willing to work hard to make my clients satisfied and happy.
Q: How would you describe your style?
A: It depends if I am writing music myself or doing artists record. I always try to remember that its artists/bands record and I am only helping them as producer to make their production.
Q: Tell us about your studio setup.
A: I have very good sounding control room and 150m2 recording room. Monitoring is custom soffit mounted Aura-audio speakers and small Auratone 5c monitors. Protools 11 and Cubase 8.5 daw with a lot of plugins and virtual instruments. Avid HD native sound card with 40 inputs, Lavry DA converters.Toft audio 24 track mixing desk and 2" Otari 24 track reel recorder. 2 Studer A80 master tape recorders ,Eurorack modular, Mac pro with 12 cores and 96 GB ram
Q: Describe the most common type of work you do for your clients.
A: It varies a lot depending what production needs. It can be composing original music or help artist/band to make interesting and competitive sounding music. I do a lot of mixing and mastering work and sound design, orchestration and synth arrangements.I have good sounding 150m2 room for recording and I am currently recording full bands too. I also re-amp guitar and bass tracks.
Q: What do you like most about your job?
A: I love my job. I can be creative and learn new things every day and work in collaboration with inspiring and talented people.
Q: What's the biggest misconception about what you do?
A: I try to explain what I do and what is production process to client before we start to do collaboration that there is no misconceptions.
Q: What questions do you ask prospective clients?
A: I need to know what goals and expectations you have. What is schedule and deadline for production. I will ask you about your musical background and your influences and if you have some records that you think are a good reference for me to listen. I will also ask you about the emotion, concept and vision that you have for the production. It will be important for me to also know your personal preferences for the process and how you would like to work.
Q: If you were on a desert island and could take just 5 pieces of gear, what would they be?
A: Computer, microphone, modular synth, mixing desk and Aura-audio speakers. I hope its not too small island that I can fit all those :)
Q: Which artist would you like to work with and why?
A: Trent Reznor, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, Brian Eno and many many more.I like to work with all my clients and we usually have good time while making music.
Q: Can you share one music production tip?
A: Never stop learning, it keeps work interesting and fresh sounding. Listen many different genres of music and music from different eras.
Q: What do you bring to a song?
A: Creativity, original sounding ideas and long experience working with different genres.
Q: What's your typical work process?
A: It starts with conversation with client in order to understand what is artists end goal and expectations and learn more about project. I can usually quite fast get an idea what production needs and give simple step by step guide of process. All of the terms will be discussed in the beginning so there are no surprises and we both can concentrate on making music.
Q: What other musicians or music production professionals inspire you?
A: I listen a lot of different genres and I like all music that has its own sound and is original and inspiring with real emotions.